Saturday, October 26, 2013

God is in control

     After procrastinating for almost a week, I finally began working on a reading report for a Bible class (because it was due today of course). I chose to do the report on Trusting God by Jerry Bridges, because it was a book I already had on my iPad. While scanning for quotes, I came across chapter 5, "God's Rule over the Nations," and my interest was immediately piqued. I decided to read the whole chapter. Bridges begins to elaborate on how we should trust God, not our government. About halfway through the chapter, Bridges uses a quote from John Newton that resonated with me, and that I hope will encourage all of you.

"The kings of the earth are continually disturbing the world with their schemes of ambition. They expect to carry every thing before them, and have seldom any higher end in view, than the gratification of their own passions. But in all they do they are but servants of this great King and Lord, and fulfill his purposes, as the instruments he employs to inflict prescribed punishment upon transgressors against him, or to open a way for the spread of his Gospel.... They had one thing in view, he had another."

     No matter what is going on in our government, God is in control. God is on the throne, and we can always trust Him implicitly, even in the political arena.

No comments: